Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Larvae identification

Pic 1
Pic 1  

Pic 2
Pic 2  
I found this little guy on my coffee table.  He is about half an inch in length.  Pics are attached.  Hope you can identify him for me, please and thank you :)

Dear Anne - This is a caterpillar of a moth in the family Geometridae. This is a very large family, and there are quite a few species whose caterpillars have an appearance very similar to yours, so I cannot offer a specific identification. These often are called loopers or inchworms because of their peculiar mode of locomotion; they lack prolegs on most abdominal segments and thus cannot crawl like most other caterpillars.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.