Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Bug

Question
Mystery Bug
Mystery Bug  

Mystery Bug
Mystery Bug  
I live in Kansas and I found this guy having some lunch it appears while hiking in the Perry Lake State Park.  I'm sending a couple photographs from 2 angles.  I have a third angle if necessary.    It's quite large and flew fairly quickly and nimbly for its size.  This guy was seen on July 17th 2013 around mid afternoon in East Central Kansas.

Answer
Hi, Joshua:

Thanks for sharing the images!

The insect is a kind of robber fly that mimics bumblebees.  It belongs to the family Asilidae, genus Laphria :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/5234

You can click on the "browse" tab in the above link to get images by species, and you might make a match by doing so (but there are at least 62 species in North America, many of them looking very similar to each other).

Congratulations on being so observant and curious.  These are the kind of questions I love the most :-)

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton