Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Can you name this flying bug?

Question
I have seen these little bugs in my house, I told my children they are baby crickets or baby grasshoppers. But then I notice that they fly. It is smaller than a cricket or grasshopper, which is why I assumed it was a baby.

The body is black and has some dark blue on it. It's body is probably about the length of a standard house fly, maybe slightly longer. And it flies well.

Is there a species of cricket or grasshopper that fits my description? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks for your time.

God bless,
Michelle

Answer
Michelle:

Your description does not fit any North American grasshopper or cricket I can think of.  Without at least a clear image of the creature in question, preferably a specimen, I can't begin to tell you what it could be.

Thank you for understanding the limits of what can be done from a description alone, over the internet, and the vast number of potential suspects (literally thousands).

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton