Entomology (Study of Bugs)/please help!

bug view 1
bug view 1  

Hi! I am having an issue with this bug in my house! I live in a condo on the second floor.
In Westchester county, NY. It does not jump or fly. I have seen them all times of the day
in our hallway or bedroom,
But today was the first time it was on the kitchen counter!!
Totally unacceptable!! I keep a
very clean house, but I know my downstairs neighbor does not. It has these 2 spikey things
in the back and has a hard-ish shell.
I need to get rid of them! I hope you can help!! THANKS

Ok, I can tell from the one image that the insect is a European Earwig.  More on them here:

I wonder if maybe they came in on a houseplant that was outdoors at one time?  They might also be crawling in under doors, or through a tear in a window screen....or on firewood.  Lots of possible entry points.

Earwigs do not pose any health threat I am aware of, and simply dispatching the ones you find should be sufficient.  Their presence certainly doesn't warrant an extermination service, or do-it-yourself chemical treatments, either, for that matter.

Here's an excellent fact sheet from University of Florida.  Pay particular note to "cultural controls."

The two links above should give you more than enough information to make informed decisions.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.