Entomology (Study of Bugs)/please help!

Question
bug view 1
bug view 1  

tail
tail  
Hi! I am having an issue with this bug in my house! I live in a condo on the second floor.
In Westchester county, NY. It does not jump or fly. I have seen them all times of the day
in our hallway or bedroom,
But today was the first time it was on the kitchen counter!!
Totally unacceptable!! I keep a
very clean house, but I know my downstairs neighbor does not. It has these 2 spikey things
in the back and has a hard-ish shell.
I need to get rid of them! I hope you can help!! THANKS

Answer

Lori:

Ok, I can tell from the one image that the insect is a European Earwig.  More on them here:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/23281

I wonder if maybe they came in on a houseplant that was outdoors at one time?  They might also be crawling in under doors, or through a tear in a window screen....or on firewood.  Lots of possible entry points.

Earwigs do not pose any health threat I am aware of, and simply dispatching the ones you find should be sufficient.  Their presence certainly doesn't warrant an extermination service, or do-it-yourself chemical treatments, either, for that matter.

Here's an excellent fact sheet from University of Florida.  Pay particular note to "cultural controls."

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/veg/european_earwig.htm

The two links above should give you more than enough information to make informed decisions.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton