Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Rearing og spiders

Question
Hi Walter,
I am entomologist and would like to know if rearing of spider is possible in lab.If so can you please help me out.Actually i work on red cotton bug but one of my student is interested in spider studies so would like to know what can be done to initialize the studies
thanks
with regards
Dr Sujata Magdum

Answer
Hi Dr Sujata
I have been studying and working with spiders since I was a child and for the last 20 years have been keeping Tarantulas. The tarantula is the best spider to raise and study because they have long life span. Smaller spiders only live one or two years. Tarantulas are available at pet stores and online. The majority on them are docile and can be handled and can be fed on small insects and crickets. The easiest one to keep is the Chilean Rise Hair (Genus Grammastola)
 I keep mine in a ten gallon terrarium.
 I do not believe we have the Red Cotton Bug North America

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz