Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small bugs in NYC

Hi Eric,

I noticed 3 small bugs that could look like bed bugs over the past 10 days, the three of them discovered during the night. It is hard to tell because picture of bed bugs on websites are always zoomed so I've attached here a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7CfXLrCbM) and a picture I've made of it. Maybe your expert eye could give us a few hints about what it could be.

I really appreciate your help, thank you.
Best regards,

This is the fourth question in about as many days, all from New York, I think, involving "spider beetles," probably of this species:

or one of these two:

They are considered a "stored product pest," especially of grains, flour, and related matter, but often the beetles exist in very old buildings that seemingly have no food sources for the beetles to subsist on.

I would simply go through the pantry and discard any infested items.  Then, secure dry foodstuffs (including dry pet food) in glass, metal, or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids.  Cardboard boxes and plastic bags offer no barrier to *any* stored product pest.

Hope this helps.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.