Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Strange bug/insect...

Unknown bug/insect
Unknown bug/insect  
Wondering if you could identify the bug/insect in the attached photo.  It's a bit over an inch in length, showed up in central Arkansas today, 7-5-13.

Hi, Wendy:

Thank you for including the image with your question.  Thanks, too, for noticing this insect.  Few people write to me out of pure curiosity, so pat yourself on the back :-)

The insect is a longhorned beetle called the "Ivory-marked Beetle," Eburia quadrigeminata , or at least a beetle in that genus (there are other very similar species in Arkansas that are somewhat less common).  Here's more about it:

They are often attracted to lights at night.  They bore in dead or dying trees as larvae, and if the wood is milled into lumber or furniture, it may cause the life cycle of the beetle to be extended greatly, such that an adult beetle may emerge decades later from the wooden object.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.