Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Strange bug/insect...

Question
Unknown bug/insect
Unknown bug/insect  
Wondering if you could identify the bug/insect in the attached photo.  It's a bit over an inch in length, showed up in central Arkansas today, 7-5-13.

Thanks!

Answer
Hi, Wendy:

Thank you for including the image with your question.  Thanks, too, for noticing this insect.  Few people write to me out of pure curiosity, so pat yourself on the back :-)

The insect is a longhorned beetle called the "Ivory-marked Beetle," Eburia quadrigeminata , or at least a beetle in that genus (there are other very similar species in Arkansas that are somewhat less common).  Here's more about it:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/2873

They are often attracted to lights at night.  They bore in dead or dying trees as larvae, and if the wood is milled into lumber or furniture, it may cause the life cycle of the beetle to be extended greatly, such that an adult beetle may emerge decades later from the wooden object.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton