Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Strange little bugs

Question
One of the bugs
One of the bugs  
I have noticed these strange bugs on the wood shingles of my home.   I live in NY on long island.  i  only see them at night.   Can you tell me what these are and if They are doing any damage?  I walked the perimeter of my house and there are thousands of them all over

Answer
Amy,

I can't see this clearly enough to be certain but from your description it sounds like some kind of planthopper. It could also be a small beetle but again I can't see it clearly enough. In either case it would not be doing any damage. If you have outdoor lighting at night it could be attracted to the light otherwise they might be migrating from a nearby agricultural field or body of water. If you can get a clearer, brighter image I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis