Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Striped insect

Question
Mystery bug in bed
Mystery bug in bed  
I live in the Northern Kentucky area.

I found this insect this morning sitting on my bed sheet after I pulled back the comforter.  It was not crawling or trying to get away -- just sitting.  I first noticed its skinny appearance and the stripes.

Since I just got back from vacation two days ago, my first instinct was to be afraid of some stage of bed bug (although I don't believe bed bugs are so uniform in width all the way down?  Not sure.)

The attached photo makes the insect look much larger than it was, as I zoomed in order to try to make identification.  It was only about 1/4 inch in length - rather small.

Thanks so much.

Answer
Dear Laura  - This is a larva of a beetle in the family Dermestidae, likely either an Anthrenus or Attagenus sp.  These insects will feed on an enormously wide variety of organic materials, mostly of animal origin, including accumulations of dead insects in out-of-the-way places. It is this factor alone that makes locating and eliminating all food sources so difficult - see http://tinyurl.com/pvgfq3 for a fact sheet that includes control recommendations. The adult beetles themselves are harmless pollen feeders; they can fly quite well, which is one of the ways they gain entry into homes. They also may be on fresh flowers brought into homes.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad