Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Tiny Black bug biting and living in hair

Question
bug
bug  
Hello,

My family is getting bit by a seemingly invisible insect. The bites are painful and leave marks. My daughter was diagnosed with lice however, I only found like 9 nits and no real bugs and the bugs have wings!!. A few days later I caught one that was living in my hair. Without magnification is looks similar to a flea but up close that is where it ends. Please help me id them. I am at my wits  end. They also leave black "droppings" everywhere. The picture are in a microscope in hopes it will be easier to id.

Answer
Dear Elsie - Although I cannot tell for certain what is biting you, I can tell you that the insect in your image would not be responsible. It is a tiny beetle (order Coleoptera), and there are no beetle species that ever have been reported as infesting humans in any manner. However, it is not at all uncommon for small insects such as these to get into hair accidentally; I certainly have encountered numerous such 'hitchhikers' myself!
   All that aside, possible bite suspects include fleas (they often leave droppings - 'flea dirt' - where they feed, see http://tinyurl.com/pkwlu97 for an image), mosquitoes or biting midges (these give some of the most painful bites I've experienced) that gain entry at night, and bed bugs. The bottom line is that it is nearly impossible to confirm the cause of 'mystery bites' without actually catching/seeing the culprit(s) in the act of biting. At this point, the only other suggestion I can make is that you consult a physician for advice.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad