Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Tiny Brown Wood Eating Bugs

Question
Tiny Brown Bug
Tiny Brown Bug  
I just moved into a recently renovated apartment and within the last couple of days I began to notice sawdust (frass?) in my kitchen cabinets and drawers. I did not pay it much attention; however, yesterday I began to notice very small brown bugs in my silverware drawer. After discovering the initial bugs I began to notice them in many place all over the house (Kitchen sink, bathroom sink, bathroom cabinets, and on top of the oven). They do not fly and most of the bugs I have found have been either very inactive or dead upon discovery. I tried to search online but googling "tiny brown wood eating bugs" is not very accurate. I live in the Milwaukee area. Hopefully you can help me identify these bugs! They do not bother me so much but I would prefer them not to be around my utensils/kitchen area. Thanks in advance!

Answer
Alex:

I'm somewhat stumped.  The behavior you describe fits with "deathwatch beetles" in the family Anobiidae, many of which will emerge from milled lumber, even cabinetry, but will not re-infest.  They do leave behind piles of sawdust when they emerge from the pupal stage and chew their way to freedom.

However, the image looks to be some kind of "stored product pest," of which some also belong to the Anobiidae, but also Silvanidae, Dermestidae, and other families of beetles.

You really need to take intact specimens to a local entomologist at a museum, university, state department of agriculture, or even the public health department (vector control should have at least one staff entomologist).  He or she can then put the critters under a microscope and render a valid ID.

I know U of Wisconsin in Madison has a top-flight entomology department, if you can make the trek there.

Wish I could be more helpful, but you might try Googling "stored product pests" to see if you get any matches.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton