Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Trying to identify insect

Insect 1
Insect 1  

Insect 2
Insect 2  
Mr. Hintz,

While camping at a state park near Lansing, Michigan this past week, I encountered an insect I became quite curious about, primarily due to an interesting shifting from side to side resembling a kind of dance. I understand walkingsticks have similar "dances" to blend in with foliage, but I don't believe this is a walkingstick. This insect is quite tiny, walks sideways, is light green with spots on its back, and can bolt vertically to fly quite quickly. I was hoping to send a video of its movement, but for now I have simply attached images to aid in identification I can provide the video if necessary via email). Any information you may provide would be most appreciated!

HI jason
From the description and the photo that I see I think it may a Treehopper. treehoppers come in all kinds of bizarre shapes and belong to the Family of True Bugs called Membracidae. This look like a member of the Genus Telamona. You can upload the video to my email

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ