Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unidentified Bug

Question
Insect
Insect  
I found several of these unidentified insects on my ceiling and was worried it may be bedbugs. After some research it doesn't appear to be bedbugs but I would like an expert opinion. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Answer

Larry:

Thank you for including the image with your question.  It is clear that the insect is a weevil of some kind (beetle family Curculionidae), maybe in the genus Conotrachelus :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/23284

Several kinds of weevils commonly fly to lights at night, and if you have an open door or window, or hole in your windowscreen, they will get in.

Weevils pose no health threat whatsoever.  You are not likely to see bed bugs by day, or at night with lights on.  Check mattress seams, under mattress buttons, behind the headboard if it is flush with the wall, and thoroughly inspect bedside furniture if you suspect bed bugs.  Do this routine every time you check into a hotel, motel, hostel, resort, cabin, dorm, or any other type of lodging where rooms have serial occupancy.

Unless you bring bed bugs home from traveling, you are not likely to have them in your home.  Multifamily housing presents the potential problem of *other* tenants accidentally bringing bed bugs in.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton