Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown Mites?


Over the last few weeks I have been noticing tiny round tan/clear bugs about the size of the point of the thick end of a sewing needle on the screens of my handheld devices. I did more investigating and found that there were groups of these things centered around dust so I assumed dust mites and since I have sprayed my room with anti-dust mite spray and sealed the handheld devices in plastic bags in hopes of killing the bus in and around the devices. Any help indentifying these mystery bugs would be great. If you need more information email me at tjcimo@gmail.com.


These were probably mold mites (somewhat related to dust mites), see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/mold_mites.html for some general information about these mites. These mites are often associated with dampness or water leak. Once you locate and eliminate the moisture the mites will go away. They are otherwise harmless.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack DeAngelis


I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.


20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]