Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Vespa - singapore

Question
Singapore Vespa
Singapore Vespa  

Singapore Vespa 2
Singapore Vespa 2  
Hi.  Am hoping you can confirm for me what sub species this is.  After searching internet photos, i'm thinking thinking it might be polistes-tenebricosus, but not sure.  It's busy building outside our bedroom window in singapore and is beautiful to watch.  
Thanks!

Answer
Yug,

Vespa refers to the genus of social wasps that are commonly called hornets while Polistes is the genus of wasps commonly called paper wasps. The wasp in your picture appears to be a Polistes and it may be the species tenebricosus (color pattern seems right) but a definitive species id would require exam under a microscope. Keep taking pictures as the nest is built, I'm sure it will be interesting.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis