Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Weird wasp with barbed stinger???

Question
I live in Anchorage, AK and today I saw what I thought was a medium sized dragonfly caught in a spiders web, but it turned out to look more like a wasp with a long straight midsection. It was black with yellow on it's back and had a completely straight body, but what was weird was that it looked like it had two stingers--kind of like an over/under shotgun....and the top one was barbed!!! What is it and does it sting??? It's the first and only thing I've seen like this in Alaska.

Answer
What you saw was a species of sawfly.  Sawflies are a family of wasps that inject their eggs under the bark of tree branches.  They use the "stinger" to saw into the bark and insert eggs.  The true name for the stinger is called "ovipositor" ...sort of an egg depositor...

Sawflies can't sting, but they can cause damage to trees.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs