Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Beetle or Roach?

Question
1
1  

2
2  
I am trying to see if these are roaches or beetles. The bug at the top of the photos is brown, found crawling in my living room approximately 2 weeks ago at 2am. The smaller one is black and found it dead today in my unfinished basement laundry room. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Answer
Hi, Cherry:

Thank you for including the images with your question.

The first image (#1) shows two beetles, the top one of which is a "click beetle" in the family Elateridae:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/115

The bottom beetle in the first image is a "ground beetle" in the family Carabidae, probably in the genus Harpalus :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/7306

Neither beetle is problematic in the least.  The larvae of click beetles are known as "wireworms," and on rare occasion can be agricultural pests of potatoes and other root vegetables.  Adult Harpalus ground beetles sometimes eat seeds, but are rarely, if ever, pests.

Both kinds of beetles are nocturnal, at least in part, and may be attracted to lights at night.

Hope this helps ease your mind.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton