Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Butterfly Identification Help

Question
Butterfly Conservatory Unidentified
Butterfly Conservatory  
Hi Saugy!

I vacationed in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada back in July and took a bunch of pics at the Butterfly Conservatory there.  I'm doing my level best to look up and identify most of them, and some are proving a little more difficult than others.

Attached is a pic of one that I can't find in my North American field guides.  Was hoping you might point me in the right direction if not give me a definitive ID.

Hope your summer is going well!

Warmest regards,

Bill

Answer
Dear Bill - This certainly does not appear to be a North American species; it looks like one of the heliconiids in the family Nymphalidae. Heliconiids are very widely distributed in the tropics and subtropics, and not knowing the geographic origins of your specimen makes a more definitive i.d. difficult. That aside, it resembles some species in the genus Heliconius - see http://tinyurl.com/mdyorju and http://tinyurl.com/k2qqbd6 for a couple of examples. These butterflies appear to be very popular with operators of butterfly conservatories/gardens.

Hope this helps,
Saugy  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad