Entomology (Study of Bugs)/caterpillar

Question
caterpiller
caterpiller  
what kind of caterpillar is this?

Answer
Hi Vironica
This is an interesting insect Veronica. It is the caterpillar of the Cinnabar moth, Tyria jacobaeae. It was introduced into Australia and New Zealand to control Poisonous Ragwort. Is is extremely beneficial. Since it feeds on a poisonous plant it becomes poisonous also. These caterpillars also become cannibalistic when the food source is low. The adult moth is gorgeous. Look up the Cinnabar moth to see one.
If you found this on Ragwort put it in a closed container with some leaves and let it complete its life cycle. When the moth emerges release it.
But do not consume this caterpillar. (Just kidding)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz