Entomology (Study of Bugs)/caterpiller

Question
Neon caterpiller
Neon caterpiller  
Hi, I came across this caterpiller in my yard.  I have never seen anything like this before. It was neon green with bright blue dots and what looked like 2 sets of eyes. It was about 6 inches long.  I live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts near the ocean. Do you know what kind of bug this is?  I have attached a picture of it.  He was really cute!
Thanks,

Sally Metro

Answer
Sally:

This is a Cecropia Moth caterpillar.  These moths are part of the giant silkworm moth family.  The adults are very large and very beautiful.  As caterpillars, they feed on hickory, walnut and pecan leaves, among others.

At 6", this one is full grown and ready to spin a cocoon this fall to be an adult next year.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs