Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Concerned about a bug sting

Red ant looking bug
Red ant looking bug  
I was cleaning my room when i picked up a sheet of paper and felt this horrible sting... I saw the bug and tried to kill it but it was kinda jumpingcrawling fast.. Well finally i killed it but i am concerned about the sting because ive not seen this bug before.  Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thank you

This is a wasp but because it is badly crushed I can't id further. While wasp stings can be painful they are rarely dangerous. Usually if you are going to have a bad reaction it will occur within about 30 minutes of the sting. After this the site may be painful for awhile so an ice pack can help.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology