Entomology (Study of Bugs)/How did a flea get into my apartment?

Question
QUESTION: I moved in last year to a newly built apartment building in Manhattan, NY.  I just woke up this morning and noticed a tiny black bug crawling across my bathroom and it would jump out of the tissue I was holding whenever I tried crushing it.  I'm very nervous, as my apartment is new and I live in a pretty clean environment.  
Is it possible that the flea followed me home on my sweater or something? There is a dog on my floor but it lives way down the hall and it seems like a stretch for a single flea to have traveled that distance into my apartment.  
How did it get in, and how do I make sure fleas stay out? This is my first problem with bugs; at first I thought it was a tiny cockroach...I have no clue! Should I be worried about more fleas, if this is the only one I have ever seen?

ANSWER: Kristen,

Can you post a picture? This does not really sound like a flea (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/fleas.html for pictures of fleas).

Jack DeAngelis

bug image 1
bug image 1  

bug image 2
bug image 2  
QUESTION: Hello Jack,

This is as close as I could get to the bug while keeping the camera in focus.  I trapped the bug under a cup for a day while I was at work, and I guess it turned over and died in there.  Bear in mind, this insect is really tiny! almost the size of a fruit fly.

Kristen

Answer
I can't tell for sure whether or not this is a flea the image is just too small. If it is a flea then it was in apartment before you moved in, which seems unlikely since this sounds like a new apartment building. Are you the first renter in your apartment? In any case a single flea (if it is a flea) should not be a concern and whatever this is has probably already died off. If you find more of the same insect post a follow up and we'll continue to try and narrow down the id.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis