Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Giant flying wasp type thing

Question
Wasp?
Wasp?  
I live in the North Dallas area and have this giant wasp looking thing flying around my patio doors. It's huge and my dog wants to get at it. I'm afraid to go outside and I certainly don't want him out there trying to get it and possibly get stung. Can you tell me what it is? It looks to be at least 3" long and pretty beefy.

Answer
Dear Debbie - This is a wasp in the family Sphecidae known as the cicada killer wasp - see http://tinyurl.com/lntmn5d for an image. Although fearsome in appearance, they are not aggressive towards humans, and are interested only in procuring cicadas to feed their larvae in the burrows they dig in sandy soil. Years ago, on one of my visits to Ft. Sam Houston, there was quite a colony of these in large soil-filled planters at the entrance to the main PX facility. I saw scores of these wasps fly within a few feet of people entering and leaving the building, completely ignoring them. See http://tinyurl.com/nx5ymf6 for detailed information on these fascinating insects.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad