Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identification

Question
Photo 1
Photo 1  

Image 2
Image 2  
Dear Ed,

I was wondering if you could help me identify a beetle. I get these most times of the year. They vary in sizes and some appear to have antenna and some not. They also vary from a brown to black colour.

They appear most in my bathroom and mostly in the bath. However I have found them in other places in the house on occasion such as in the living/kitchen and in the wardrobe. The property I live in is more than 100 years old.

I have attached two photos. One in a bath and one of two beetles in a jar.

I have also seen one play dead and allowed me to scope into the jar without any movement at all.

Any help you could provide in identifying them would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Answer
Dear Chris - Unfortunately, the resolution of your images is not sufficient for me to make a positive identification. The good news is that they do not appear to be anything that would pose a serious threat to anything in your home (such as woodworms); the worst case scenario is that they might be something that could infest food items stored in your pantry, see http://tinyurl.com/6qmzkm for some examples. If you can obtain clearer close-up images of your 'house guests,' please attach them to a follow-up question. The vast majority of insects found indoors usually will turn out to be accidental intruders that will cause no harm.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad