Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Biting Bug

Question
Biting bug
Biting bug  

Biting Bug
Biting Bug  
Hello there. I live in Southern California. My husband had been outside and after coming back in he felt something bite his leg. He pulled this bug off of him. To me it resembled a small slug that seemed to move like a caterpillar. The insect is extremely small but I was able to enlarge the image a great deal. I have not seen anything that resembles it. It looks as though there were legs but it did not seem to move like that. Any help? I am very interested at this point. The area where he was bit is only slightly red if that.

Thank you,
Rachel

Answer
Rachel:

This is a lacewing nymph.  Lacewings are considered to be one of the most beneficial insects because they feed on a wide variety of pest insects.  Adults are fragile, green insects seen around lights at night.

As nymphs, they are voracious predators...unfortunately, they occasionally have been known to bite if they happen to get on a human.  They don't bite to feed or anything like that.  They just bite.  Overall, this doesn't happen often and they don't seek out humans.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs