Entomology (Study of Bugs)/"Mystery Bug"

Question
Mystery Bug from IL
Mystery Bug from IL  

Mystery bug sitting on my car window.
Mystery bug sitting on  
I suppose this falls under "mystery bug" questions. We observed this curious insect in Magnolia, Illinois in the early afternoon. It flew, and it crawled slowly once it landed. It is one of the more interesting bugs I have ever seen and was wondering if you could identify it.  Zoomed in picture attached. Thanks so much for your time and expertise!

Answer
Jennifer:

Thank you for including the wonderful images with your question.

The insect is clearly a weevil, which is a kind of beetle in the family Curculionidae.  Weevils may be the most diverse organisms on the planet, so identifying them is very difficult.  I think this one might be the "Apple Curculio," Anthonomus quadrigibbus , or something closely-related:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/122208

Someone at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign might know for certain.  That university has a world-class entomology department.

Thanks again for sharing your find!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton