Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Bug

Question
Mystery Bug
Mystery Bug  

Mystery bug
Mystery bug  
We were cleaning out our daughter's room (she went off the college) and these tiny dark brown bugs are everywhere in her room.  They are in drawers, between the sheets, on the mattress, in clothes, and just crawling around on the floor.  My first thought was bed bugs, but they look more like beetles.  We live in the desert in Arizona.  Any ideas?

Answer
Dear Rhonda - These are beetles in the family Tenebrionidae (darkling beetles); the images are not clear enough for me to be certain, but they look like flour beetles in the genus Tribolium. However, these beetles usually are found in areas where grains or grain-derived food products (such as flour, pasta, etc.) are stored (see http://tinyurl.com/29qvhmq). I suggest that you collect some of these in a small container, and take them to your county office of the University of Arizona's Cooperative Extension Service for assistance in identification and any recommended control measures. See http://extension.arizona.edu/ and click on your county for contact information. Extension service offices generally are a good resource when dealing with most home/yard/garden pest problems.

Hope this helps,
saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad