Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery bugs found in the house

Question
Mystery Bug
Mystery Bug  
The enclosed bug is from a photo our veterinarian took today.   A number of incredibly small bugs (too small to see any detail but we could see them moving) were found on a bed this morning where the cat had been, and then later on a couch where the cat had again been sleeping.   We assumed they were from the cat and took her to the vet.   He couldn't find any bugs on the cat at all.   He took the enclosed picture under a microscope and suggested we contact an entomologist.  Any idea what this could be?

Answer
Michael:

The creature in the image is clearly some kind of mite.  Unfortunately, mites are not insects and I have very little knowledge of them.  You need an "acarologist" (mite expert), and I don't know that there is one on AllExperts....

You might start with Dr. Barry M. OConnor at the University of Michigan:

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/bmoc.html

You can tell him I sent you, as we are both on the Entomo-l listserv, an international e-mail service for entomologists.  He freely shares his expertise and if he doesn't know the answer he probably knows someone else who can help you.

Please consider writing me back, as I'd love to know the answer to this one myself, and no doubt I'll eventually get another person writing to me with the same question.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton