Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Picture of bugs

Haley\'s Bug Infestation
Haley's Bug Infestatio  
I just sent you a question.  I found the picture and have attached it to this request.  Please help if you can.

Dear Judy - The only object that I can see in this image that even remotely resembles an insect is the large one in the approximate center, and it does not resemble anything that I would consider either a wood or biting pest. Is there any way you can provide a clearer close-up of that one? Also, if she truly has a heavy infestation, surely there would be other specimens available to photograph? I suggest that you (or she) collect what specimens you can and take them to your county office of Alabama's Cooperative Extension Service (see http://www.aces.edu/counties/ for links to contact information) for assistance in identification and any needed control recommendations. It is quite possible that the wood damage and bite symptoms are coincidental rather than related, as I am unaware of any wood-infesting insect that also would inflict multiple bites on a person (note that just about any insect having chewing mouthparts are capable of biting; they just usually don't unless you pick one up and provoke it).

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.