Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Pink and 5 Spotted Hawk Moth

Question
Pink Spotted
Pink Spotted  

I live in a suburb of Milwaukee.  The past few nights we have been enjoying a show of several Hawk Moths (after some research).  I was wondering if they normally inhabit my area?

Answer
Andy:

The moth in your image is not a Pink-spotted Sphinx Moth.  It is a White-lined Sphinx, Hyles lineata , which is a very common species across the entire U.S.

It would not be out of the question for a Pink-spotted Sphinx Moth to stray into Wisconsin, however:

http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=7771

Looks from the map on that page that there are several Wisconsin records already, in fact.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton