Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Pink and 5 Spotted Hawk Moth

Pink Spotted
Pink Spotted  

I live in a suburb of Milwaukee.  The past few nights we have been enjoying a show of several Hawk Moths (after some research).  I was wondering if they normally inhabit my area?

The moth in your image is not a Pink-spotted Sphinx Moth.  It is a White-lined Sphinx, Hyles lineata , which is a very common species across the entire U.S.

It would not be out of the question for a Pink-spotted Sphinx Moth to stray into Wisconsin, however:

Looks from the map on that page that there are several Wisconsin records already, in fact.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.