Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Please help identify

Please identify bug
Please identify bug  

Please tell me what big this is and if I should be concerned. They are all over my house(like I could find about 10 throughout my whole house (

Hello Sheri,

Do you have any pets? Something you feed mealworms to? To me, this beetle looks like an adult mealworm (Darkling Beetle, from the family Tenebrionidae). They are not dangerous but may reproduce and become a larger population. They usually don't bite, but they can, although you shouldn't be concerned if you get a bite. Do you feed mealworms to anything? If not, do you frequently see any little yellow worms around your house? If not, let me know!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior