Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small bugs in NYC apartment

Bug on my stove
Bug on my stove  
Hi Jack,
I have been finding these small, oval, brown bugs in my apartment.  The locations have been sporadic, everywhere from the kitchen to the bathroom to the living room.  They move rather slowly but at the same time do not stop moving.  I never find more then 1 at a time but I do find 1 - 2 a day.  If I had to estimate, I would say they are a little smaller then 1/8 in.  Coincidentally we were having issues with silver fish that stopped as soon as these new bugs started showing up.

This is a beetle, possibly one that infests stored food such as the carpet beetles. There are several species but all have similar life histories. See for some general background. The beetles are harmless in low numbers but if you start to see more than a few at a time it probably means there's an infestation in the apartment, see the page cited above for control suggestions.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology