Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small Green locust possibly

Question
Locust?
Locust?  
When pulling weeds in my backyard here in Tucson, AZ my daughter and I came across this green long legged insect. It has six long legs, has very long antennae and was very docile. I assumed it was a type of locust or grasshopper but it almost looks like a large aphid with its fat body and bright green hue. It allowed my daughter to hold it for an extended period and even climbed up her arm when trying to put it back on the ground. What is this awesome insect?

Answer
Dear Brandy - This is a female short-winged katydid in the genus Dichopetala; it appears to be the common short-winged katydid, Dichopetala brevihastata - see http://tinyurl.com/mpw7td8 and http://tinyurl.com/pacylpa for examples. Like many other insects, individuals within this species can vary considerably in their color pattern, but the shape and ornamentation (look at the tip) of its ovipositor (the sword-like structure at the end of the abdomen) appears characteristic. Unfortunately, very little appears to be known about the biology of this insect - authorities don't seem sure what its food habits might be; some report it as feeding on flowers while others mention the possibility of it feeding on other insects.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad