Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider behavior

Question
Hello, I have an odd question about spider behavior. I live in central Alberta Canada, as a young child We moved around alot. I can only recall one home where i was bit constantly by a spider that took up home in my room. Since then when we move to new homes I may get bit once but never more BUT no matter where I go I find spiders are constantly attracted to me but don't bite me. If there's a spider in my room it will often run up and down my legs at night. Usually it's while I'm resting or sleeping and they don't seem to bite me it will just run back and forth on my legs. The spiders in the houses are usually just common brown/black house spiders. Nasty things I don't like spiders at all. Is this normal for them to do? Why do they do it?

Answer
Kimberley:

None of the events you describe sound like "normal" spider behavior to me.  Forgive me, but I do wonder if your body was simply *perceiving* that these things were happening.  *That* is not a terribly unusual thing, but when entomologists suggest it as a possibility, we often get a response that suggests we think the person is "crazy."  Not so.  I know my own body perceives crawling sensations now and then, in the absence of any insect or other creature.

"Spider bites" are rather rare, and more often than not, unless you see the arachnid biting, are the manifestation of some other affliction.  I understand that ingrown hairs are one of the leading causes of "spider bites," for example.

Since spiders are predators of insects, and vulnerable to any organisms larger than they are, they are certainly not "attracted" to people.  Most don't see very well, though, and may interpret any large object as a place to explore for potential insect prey.

Thank you for this question, I hope my answers have helped a little.  Take care.

Eric  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton