Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Tiny sesame seed bugs in house and on body

Question
Brown specks being found
Brown specks being fou  
I recently had a wall in my bedroom demolished due to water damage. Once we moved our furniture, we discovered tons of mold on the wall. Needless to say, once demolition began, we were disgusted to find tons of mold on the insulation too. Although the people doing the work tried to cover our carpet, dust and debris got everywhere!!! I've been finding these tiny, sesame seed size debris. I'm not certain if they are mites, lice, termites, or droppings from one of these insects. They don't seem to move,  but I find them on the floor, my skin,  pillow, and even on comb after running it through my hair. We have also found tiny, white specks moving on furniture, cell phones, and dog toys.
I've been vacuuming and mopping like crazy, but I still find them:(
Please help!
Thanks!
-Jes (NYC)

Answer
Dear Jes - Unfortunately, I can see no details in your image that would enable me to discern whether or not they were insects or even insect-related. As for the moving 'specks,' possibilities include mites and booklice, both of which may feed on mold. I suggest that you use a moistened toothpick, Q-Tip or similar object to place some of them into a small container of rubbing alcohol and submit the specimens to your local office of Cornell University's Cooperative Extension Service (see http://tinyurl.com/97g3u7d for contact information). Someone there should be able either to assist in identification and provide any necessary control recommendations, or forward the specimens to the appropriate Cornell University office. Extension service offices usually are a good resource when dealing with most home/yard/garden pest problems.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad