Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Type of bee/wasp identification

Question
bee/wasp?
bee/wasp?  
I found this dead bee by my house a week ago.  I live in NY.  I've never seen one this big before and just wanted to know what it was? From looking at pictures, it looks to be a wasp/yellow jacket, but wanted to confirm.
Does it sting? What could it mean that that I've never seen this type of bee before and it was right by my house? Does it mean there could be a hive somewhere close by?

Answer
Arkady:

I hope you did not kill it....

The insect in the image is a female Eastern Cicada Killer, Sphecius speciosus .  This website does a vastly better job of explaining what these solitary wasps are than I could in a few sentences:

http://sites.lafayette.edu/hollidac/research/biology-of-cicada-killer-wasps/

Suffice it to say they are not at all dangerous to people unless you physically molest a female wasp (males are anatomically incapable of stinging).  Male are aggressive as they defend territories near the nesting sites of females.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton