Entomology (Study of Bugs)/unknown bug

photo 1
photo 1  

photo 2
photo 2  
Days ago I noticed very tiny mall bugs in the ceiling of the breakfast room.  Most of the time they stay there even though I saw 2 or 3 in the walls.  I vacuumed all last night and they're again.  Not a lot but I'm afraid that number can grow.  It seems like they're coming through the space between the plate of a lamp and the ceiling.  They're black, length is about the size of a grain of rice but thinner.  Compare the size with the glasees in one of the pictures (it's almost the lenght of one of the glasses screws) Very difficult to take a good picture because of the size but I tried. For one, I used a magnifier glass

Your images depict two insects, in copulation, "tail-to-tail."  That means they are some kind of "true bug" in the order Hemiptera, suborder Heteroptera most likely.  I cannot make a more specific identification without at least clearer images or, ideally, specimens.

They are *not* bed bugs.  Probably something from outdoors that just blundered in, perhaps attracted by the porch light or something.

The bugs have short lifespans and the "problem" will be over quickly without need for intervention.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.