Entomology (Study of Bugs)/unknown insect

UNKNOWN INSECT SE British Columbia
SE interior of British Columbia, lakeside late July. Insect I've never seen before landed on my hand, interesting as it had what appeared to be 2 sets of antenna, one mothlike, broad and feathery, the other long, narrow and extended forward. long body, short wings, mostly green with red tipped abdomen. Very curious!
I have tried to attach photo but not positive it will appear on your end?

Hi, Rand:

Your image came through just fine.  It depicts a male "midge," a type of fly in the family Chironomidae:

The feathery antennae are just that:  antennae.  The other "antennae" are the front legs, extended forward in the characteristic posture of these flies.

Midges are extremely abundant, being aquatic in the larval stage and swarming as adults, often in great clouds over lakes and prominent objects on shore.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.