Entomology (Study of Bugs)/weird bugs

Question
pic1
pic1  
My brother brought a wooden reef home, and one day I noticed it looked like saw dust below the reef and these little bugs were dead mixed in it. I got rid of the reef but noticed they were then doing the same thing with the wooden frame to the window seal. I srayed a few things that seemed to get rid of them but now a few years later they are a lot worse and also in my sink, eating any kind of pasta in my cabinets, and throughout the entire house whatevers made of wood I find them in. For some reason majority of them when I see then are dead, but there are so many. Please help me figure out what they are. Thank you

Answer
Jesse:

What a dilemma!  You are actually dealing with two types of beetle here:  powderpost beetles and drugstore beetles.

Powderpost beetles infest wood and the larvae bore through the wood, creating sawdust.  It takes powderpost beetles many years to develop in wood.  Control methods include prolonged extreme cold or prolonged heat of 130F for 48 hrs.

Drugstore beetles infest stored food products, including pasta, grains, boxed dry foods, dry pet food and the like.  To control these populations, you must clean out all infested products and vacuum the pantry VERY thoroughly.

For more information on these common pests, Google their names and you'll be off and running!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs