Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Wondering what kind of bug it is

Hello Ed,

Recently I have been getting bites at night, but I've never found any bugs in my bedroom.
Today I was in the guest room and I found this bug next to the window, around 7:30 pm. I think it is a spider, but I couldn't identify just looking up on the internet. It has been really stressful getting all these bites and not sure what is biting me... By the way, my boyfriend shares the bed with me almost every night and he hasn't gotten a single bite. I am really afraid this could be a bed bug or a mite.

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it.

Dear Rose - This came in while I was answering the first one! This is indeed a spider, but from what I can see, it is nothing to worry about; it certainly is not a medically significant species. And spiders very seldom will bite spontaneously, bites usually occur when a spider is mishandled or provoked on some way.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.