Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Ants and Water

Question
Dear Ed,

My six-year-old son is going through a rather inquisitive phase: some of his latest questions include 'Why do old people wave slower than young people?' and 'Why do flies fly?'

The other day he asked me how much water an ant would need to take a bath. I don't like fobbing him off with half-hearted answers, and a small part of me is intrigued to know just how much water an ant would be happy with, should it decide it wants a bath.

Can you help?

Answer
Dear Ben - This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer without getting into a discourse on the physical properties of small droplets of water in relation to various surfaces (see http://tinyurl.com/cbh2758 for a brief discussion). However, cutting to the chase and assuming a human can take a decent bath using roughly one's body weight of water, an ant should be able to do likewise, which taking a 'typical' ant in the genus Formica would be about five micrograms. A water droplet weighing five micrograms would have a diameter of approximately 0.4 mm, less than 1/50th of an inch.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

p.s. - I'm just glad your son didn't ask about string theory or quantum chromodynamics...

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad