Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Black and yellow web

Hi, I live in Atlanta, Georgia.  I have a large spiderweb behind my town home, and the web has alternating colors of black and yellow. The spider possibly has these colors, but the web is definitely black and yellow. What type of spider is this, and is there cause for concern with children and pets? Thanks for your help!

Can you post a picture of the spider in the web, or just the web itself? Otherwise I'd guess this is one of the orb-weaving spiders in the family Araneidae. They are not dangerous. You don't have many venomous spiders in your area and those that are around don't make the large ornate webs that you find in the fall.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology