Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Borax bait separation & ants

Question
Hi, I have some ants in the kitchen who are fond of protein, specially cat food. I made bait by combining borax and cat food at about a 2:3 ratio. I left it out, and the ants were all over it. The next day, however, I noticed they had carefully separated the crystals from the cat food. I am wondering if my plan had any effect (by mere virtue of the ants walking over the borax, touching it with their mandibles) or if I just succeeded in feeding the , making the problem worse. Any thoughts or advices appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob

Answer
Dear Bob - To avoid this sort of situation, the borax/boric acid needs to be fully incorporated in the bait mixture. As you are dealing with protein-loving ants, I suggest using peanut butter instead of cat food, as this would make it far more difficult for the ants to perform the type of triage as you noted with the cat food. See http://tipnut.com/ant-killer/ for additional details and tips on ant control in the home.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad