Entomology (Study of Bugs)/boring in concrete slab

Question
who done it
who done it  
Hello Ed:
I have attached a picture of boring in my concrete porch slab.
It appears as if someone drilled a perfect hole - but no one did.
Is it possible that an insect could have done this?
Thank You.

Answer
Dear Sharon - If you are absolutely certain that human activity was not responsible for this hole, about the only possibility that comes to mind is a carpenter bee. These bees, which resemble bumble bees, normally construct their tunnel nests in dead wood (including unfinished lumber). However, I have seen anecdotal (but not proven) reports of them boring into concrete/mortar on occasion. Keep your eyes peeled for bees that look like bumble bees but that exhibit different behavior - male carpenter bees (which are stingless) literally will get into your face when they are 'guarding' nest sites.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad