Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug identification

Question
Crazy bug
Crazy bug  
Can u please tell me what kind of bug this is?? We found it on the beach when we were walking today.  We live in ormond beach,fl.  It was alive and when my son put his flip flop close to it it grabbed ahold of it and looked as though it was stinging it.

Answer
Christie:

This is an insect called a Giant Water Bug...they are also called "Toe Biters."

These insects live in water and are attracted to lights at night.  They are predators on other insects, minnows, and tadpoles.

In addition, they can BITE...and it can be painful.  They inject venom from small hollow claws on the tip of the first pair of legs that is used to paralyze prey.  In humans, the venom just hurts like mad....

Great find!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs