Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug from kitchen cupboard

No flash
No flash  

With flash
With flash  
I pulled a baking dish out of the cupboard and this bug was in it. I tried to pick it up and squish it with a tissue and it kept moving. I tossed it in the toilet before taking the picture. Have no idea what kind it is. Creepy though

Looks like a click beetle larva. These beetles are harmless but I'm not sure what it was doing in the cupboard, larvae are not usually found indoors. It might have come indoors on something you brought into the house such as a potted plant, cut flowers or garden vegetables.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology