Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Caterpillar identification

Question
Caterpillar on leaf
Caterpillar on leaf  
Hi Saugy!

Was out testing a new lens this afternoon at lunch, and came across this little critter.  Snapped several shots of it, then tried to see if I could identify it online.  Not much luck - I cannot seem to find a matching pattern on most obvious candidates.

Photo attached, taken 09/05/2013 in Berlin, Vermont.  Any help (family would do) is greatly appreciated!

Warm regards,

Bill

Answer
Dear Bill - This is not a caterpillar, but a larva of a sawfly in the family Diprionidae. It appears to be the introduced pine sawfly, Diprion similis - see http://tinyurl.com/lykmt6l for an image. They can be found feeding on any of our native pines (but especially white pine) late into September and early October. See http://tinyurl.com/lzh3tma for additional information.

Cheers,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad