Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Caterpillar identification

Caterpillar on leaf
Caterpillar on leaf  
Hi Saugy!

Was out testing a new lens this afternoon at lunch, and came across this little critter.  Snapped several shots of it, then tried to see if I could identify it online.  Not much luck - I cannot seem to find a matching pattern on most obvious candidates.

Photo attached, taken 09/05/2013 in Berlin, Vermont.  Any help (family would do) is greatly appreciated!

Warm regards,

Dear Bill - This is not a caterpillar, but a larva of a sawfly in the family Diprionidae. It appears to be the introduced pine sawfly, Diprion similis - see for an image. They can be found feeding on any of our native pines (but especially white pine) late into September and early October. See for additional information.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.