Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Fire fighter stump bug

joanne arnew wrote at 2013-09-25 18:32:31
Hi Eric,  Thankyou for the reply.  I did misspell the name, I was on my phone emailing which is difficult sometimes to text.  

My partner asked me again this morning if I had received a response, but I had not gone back to this site to check.  Thank you again.

joanne arnew wrote at 2013-09-25 18:42:15

The fire we were just on would have been open to any civilians to go into as it was a state/regional park.   The day after the fire there were residents from across the street riding their horses out there.  

The biggest danger or issue would be fire weakened trees that could fall and hurt or kill someone, rocks/boulders on hillsides loosened by burned vegetation that could roll and cause injury or equipment movement that one would have to be aware of such as dozers, engines, and drops for mop up from helicopters.

If you are near a fire in your area and would like to go check out the bugs, I would recommend you find the Public Information officer at the fire base camp, explain what you are interested in and especially if it is on public lands i.e.; BML, USFS there would be a way for you to go check out bugs and the PIO should be able to facilitate that.

To find out where to get information on the base camp go to the online site Inciweb ,, look at the fires in the area you are interested in by geographical area and the information on where the base camp is locate should be listed and sometimes even a contact phone number.   If you drive to base camp and ask someone they should be able to direct you to the PIO tent or trailer.  

good luck

joanne arnew wrote at 2013-09-25 18:53:29

I know the information says that the stump bugs do not sting, but they sure seem to bite!!  And painful!

They crawl up into our helmets, down shirts, and bite, especially on our necks!!

Does that seem typical of a horntail?

I looked at the pictures, only one of the pictures seemed to look similar to what we have seen here in Ca.

joanne arnew wrote at 2013-09-25 19:09:21

I've looked at the pictures and this website, and what we've seen in Ca., does not look too much what pictures I've seen.

Is there a way I can send you the pictures of the bugs we took while on the fire?

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.