Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Infested chipmunk

Question
Bugs in question
Bugs in question  
Hello! I live in New Brunswick, Canada. My cat recently brought home a 'gift' for the family. As I removed the still warm chipmunk from our front mat (with gloved hands), I noticed it had two large cyst-like lumps on it, and one seeping hole. Beside the poor creature rested a live bug I had never seen before. The two lumps on the chipmunk contained other bugs of the same variety. Can you please identify these for us? I've owned cats for as long as I have lived here and they have brought our family many gifts, but never have I seen these bugs, or anything like them before. Any help would be much appreciated!

Answer
Dear Cyndi - These are larvae (maggots) of a rodent bot fly (Diptera: Oestridae) in the genus Cuterebra; likely the tree squirrel bot fly, Cuterebra emasculator. They develop under the skin of their host, breathing through a hole they make in the host's skin. When they complete their development, they squeeze out through that breathing hole to find a safe place to undergo pupation. The adult fly lacks functional mouthparts and cannot feed. See http://tinyurl.com/nfwu5lq for more detailed information.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad