Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect that fly without wings and absorbs light

Question
Where I work there is a spotlight illuminating a gate. While having a cigarette I noticed a swarm of bright insects crashing against the glass of the spotlight. They were flying against the glass of the lamp, banging themselves against the glass. They were about 2 inches long with a width slightly smaller than a straw. They would not keep that shape and would become round like the size of the pencil eraser. They are transparent. When they hit the glass of the lamp they bounce back and are bright like the glow of electric soldering. And they start the process again. This went on for the time it took me to have a king size cigarette. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Answer
Dear Pablo - This is yet another example of a picture being worth a thousand words. I'm reasonably sure that if you were able to obtain an image of these mystery creatures, I could at least give you some idea as to their identity. As it is, your description does not match anything in your area that I can think of. The only flying insects there that glow naturally are fireflies and click beetles in the tribe Pyrophorini, and neither of these fit your description. There also is the possibility that the 'glow' you saw was simply a reflection of the spotlight from the insects' exoskeleton, in which case they could have been just about anything. All I can suggest is that you carry a camera with you when you go on break, and should you see these again, try to obtain a photo or two that you could append to a follow-up question.

Sincerly,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad